Saturday, May 27, 2006

You know it's time to slow down and take a break when you're losing your voice, caught a cold and feel too lazy to blog.

Wed 24 May






















Took the scenic route along the Thames, House of Parliament and St James Park to Buckingham Palace.
Seriously, the change of guards is overrated. Our NSFs can do better.

London really has an amazing selection of cool, beautiful open spaces. U know, the kind of place that you'd take your date to. Beautiful and romantic. Apparently Alex and Jesse have checked out all the spots. Cunning buggers.

Went on to the British National Museum and Campden Town and got to eat Chinese takeaway for 1 pound. The Nat Museum has an impressive collection of some of the oldest antique treasures around the world. (Com'on, we all know how much the Brits looted during the colonial era.) Campden is full of punks and people out to make a statement. Quirky fashion rules the place. Quite cool.




The Egypt section in the British National Museum







Went on to visit Jiakai in the evening. Honestly the guy is damn bro. I was late for 15 min, he didn't have my no and I didn't call him to tell him I was gonna be late. If it were me I would probably have left the station. But he stayed on and waited for me. Haha ok la bro enough, I can't complain.



Jk's cooking.

















Thur 25 May

Most stadiums in UK and Europe are huge complexes visible from miles away. But Highbury is different. It's situated right smack in the middle of a housing estate. That's why it's so charming I think. The place really embodies the history of Arsenal football club. It's sad that they have to demolish the place. I can't help but feel a sense of loss for one of the most successful clubs in English football.











That night I had a most unique and wonderful experience, and it belonged to Shakespeare. Went to catch a Shakespearean play at Shakespeare's Globe. The theatre is an enclosed area designed to resemble the old theatres of a bygone era. I stood in the yard, right in front of the stage, and the actors mingled and performed directly among the audience. It was very realistic.














Fri 26 May



















Cambridge is a beautiful place. It's a small town (or city? maybe) with the University taking up a large part of the land. Plenty of lawns everywhere within the colleges. I think one really does feel inspired to study in that place, particularly when you have such a rich history of excellence to upkeep.

Me, Kev, Sharleen and Chan Lek went punting in the afternoon. It was...haha, let's just say that Chan Lek decided never to go punting with newbies again after his experience with us. My punting was horrific, to say the least. It took me 20 min to turn 2 full circles and move a grand distance of around 10m. Lol.

After that we simply slacked the remaining hours away at Starbucks and a pub. It felt gd to catch up with Chan Lek again after so long. He was telling me how surreal it feels that we've all known each other for 5 yrs. True. Time really flies. Even now I still feel surprised at how close-knit we remain, what with so many of us scattered around different corners of the globe. It won't be too soon before another 5 yrs pass. Really hope that we can all continue keeping in touch and remain close for the rest of our lives. After all, these are some of the best friends I ever had.

Had a nice dinner at a London Chinese Restaurant. And we had a glimpse of the real London nightlife. The Brits really like their booze and their partying. It's amusing to see a drunkard every 500m. But then again it's their lifestyle, and they enjoy it, so what the heck. The LSE party we went to was quite disappointing though. Not as happening as what they make a London party out to be. Music wasn't great either. I think it must be because some of the University exams haven't ended yet.

Well we're gonna be stuck in London till Mon night. No train tickets. I just hope I get my voice back by the time I get to the Continent. Damn it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home